Gas Boiler Servicing and Repair
It is recommended that gas boilers are serviced on an annual basis, for the following reasons:
- Unserviced gas boilers could be producing Carbon Monoxide which is highly toxic. This can be identified/rectified on a service visit.
- Boilers will run more efficiently if they are serviced, potentially saving money.
- An annual service is required to keep a manufacturers warranty valid.
- It could pre-empt a problem that could otherwise lead to a breakdown and, therefore, a repair in the future.
An annual service visit generally consists of:
- A Flue gas/combustion analysis
- Checking for the correct burner pressure/gas rate
- A Visual inspection of the flue or chimney
- The testing of safety devices
- A check for the correct amount of ventilation
- We lubricate the fan and inspect all moving parts
- We inspect the electrical connections
- We check the integrity of the case seal on room sealed appliances
- We check for spillage of fumes on open flue appliances
- We check for correct polarity and electrical safety
- The cleaning of the burner where applicable
- Check the boiler has been installed in line with manufacturer’s instructions and current gas safety regulations.
If a boiler is not serviced, it is more likely to break down and need repair work in the future.
However, gas boilers have parts that are subject to wear and tear, and other parts that naturally deteriorate through use, so as a boiler grows older the potential for breakdown increases.
We are very careful in our analysis and fault finding of a boiler when it does breakdown, because we don’t want to waste time or money on unnecessary repairs. We always try and fix a problem before we replace a part.